If you’ve been following me for awhile you know I am a plant based eater. What that means is the bulk of my food intake comes from the earth like vegetables, fruit, beans, legumes, and some whole wheat products. I do still eat some food from animals like dairy, eggs, fish, and chicken mostly. I’m not one of those people who could ever go vegan, I like honey way too much. Also on that note, save the bees please.
Anyway, I’m getting off topic. What you may not know about me is I grew up in a primarily meat eating family, particularly red meat. My dad was and still is the best barbecuer on this planet in my opinion and makes a mean tri-tip cut steak. I resort to only eating red meat when I go home and he is barbecuing because of this. The only other time I eat red meat is when I am pregnant and need the extra iron…well, until my recent discovery, that all changed.
I chose to go plant based for two main reasons but if you’d like the learn the full explanation you can read my 7 Reasons Why I Went Plant Based article here. The main two reasons is I hate the way cattle is treated on a humane level and I hate even more the carbon footprint it puts on the earth. These reasons alone made my decision to no longer eat red meat or even pork in my regular diet, much to my husbands demise since he still loves it.
Here is the great news!
I recently connected with the largest Ostrich farmer in the nation who told me an unbelievable and amazing story. He was training for an Ironman when he came across Ostrich meat for the first time. He tried the meat and afterwards was able to run longer and faster than he had prior to this AND he said it tasted just like red meat.
I didn’t believe him, mostly because for most people red meat leaves you feeling a bit sluggish as it’s harder to digest and I found it hard to believe a bird could taste a heck of a lot like cattle. He sent me over a sample pack to try it for myself and to taste for myself.
Well, he did and I tried it. He also not only told me about all the amazing benefits of using ostrich meat as a protein instead of cattle, but also sent some facts about ostrich meat in the sample pack for me to learn more.
Here are the facts from my experience:
- The carbon footprint of an ostrich farm is 1/10 the carbon footprint of beef and pork.
- Ostrich meat is incredibly lean with less fat, cholesterol, and overall calories compared to chicken, beef, and pork PLUS has more iron than all the others.
- The ostrich’s on the farm are treated so well and get their own pens as they are territorial birds. When they are little they are put in a bigger pen so they can roam and run with the other young birds until they are grown.
- Ostrich meat does in fact have the tenderness and taste just like a prime cut of steak. My family and I couldn’t tell the difference and in fact, I preferred it over regular steak because it was so tender!
- With the growing population, other protein sources are going to have to come into play to keep the human population fed. There is talk of starting to use bugs like Crickets to be used for protein powders as an example. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather eat ostrich than bugs any day.
- The American Ostrich Farms company is so committed to sustainability they even package all their orders with an environmentally friendly insulation that is made from recycled plastic bottles!
- To learn more details about the greatness that is Ostrich CLICK HERE.
I am hooked and a firm believer in Ostrich now after trying it for myself and seeing the benefits it has environmentally and on my body. I didn’t feel sluggish or too full, it made me feel good, and was a great fuel source for my workouts the next morning.
I would highly, HIGHLY recommend trying Ostrich meat for yourself and see how amazing it is. I received a discount code for my next order I wanted to share with you as well.
If you go to their website and use the code MOREOSTRICH5 you will get 5% discount on your order.
I don’t know if I’m allowed to give that code out but it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission and I really think you will like the meat if you try it.
Plus, by us buying and eating ostrich over beef, we all can help reduce our carbon footprint and help save our earth.
PS I will not get paid for you using this code or buying from them. I just genuinely loved the product and love what they are doing over at American Ostrich Farms and want to support them as well as help you find a healthier, renewable source of high end protein.
I hope you try it and see for yourself how amazing this stuff is. If you do leave a comment below and tell us about your experience, I’d love to hear from you. 🙂